So many of you are thinking about what your New Year’s Resolution might be. Myself I am rather neutral when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions. Before you go and set your resolution ask yourself this… am I setting myself up for failure? How can you set a NY Resolution without it backfiring? Here are a few tips to consider before you set your resolution:
- Make sure your resolution comes from a place of self-love. Make being kind to yourself the priority of any resolution.
- Don’t make your goal from a place of obligation. The word “should” can have a negative connotation to it. Make sure your motivation comes from doing more of what you love, not doing more of what you feel you “should” be doing. Negative motivation in most cases will not inspire you to achieve your goals.
- Don’t set yourself up for failure. This the quickest way to lower your self-esteem, yet again! Make SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Based
- Create a resolution around how you want to feel in your life. Most often even when we reach our goals and succeed in doing the next thing on our list we still feel unsatisfied or unhappy and we just move on to the next thing, never changing the way we feel. Create your resolution around what you want to cultivate more of in your life. What thoughts and actions will make you feel happier, What will make you feel more Joy and satisfaction in your life?
- Make sure you are clear about what you want to achieve and why you want to achieve it. Having this understanding will help you identify the different choices you will make and it will also help you in achieving your goal.
Above all make sure your resolution comes from a place of kindness and self-love! It should cultivate a feeling rather than a desired thought and try to stay away from things that make you feel more self-doubt. Make 2017 a year of new beginnings for you and your thoughts!